Sunday, January 11, 2009

PaPaw

Today is my PaPaw's birthday, and also the 16th anniversary of his death. I looked hard for a picture of him to post, and was saddened to find I had none. That's one of the many ugly things about divorce...you sometimes lose some of your memories in pictures when that happens. I plan to do something about that!

Anyway, it's so hard to believe it's been 16 years. There are so many things I remember about him. He was a massive man...tall, big, and gruff, even though he mellowed greatly in his latter years. I can still see him in his Texaco shirt (he owned a Texaco station in Mt. Pleasant for years) sitting in his recliner and counting his wad of bills. I remember being so awed by that stack of money. I don't know if he didn't go to the bank everyday or what, but he always had a stack in that money clip! He was a survivor of the Great Depression, though, and didn't let go of it too easily.

I can remember going with him to the farm to feed the cows, feed the catfish in his stocked ponds, and work in his garden. I spent the night with them every Friday night and stayed all day on Saturday, and he was always busy working around the place or at the station. He didn't tolerate any nonsense though, and when he spoke you jumped! :)

So many memories.....seems like just yesterday. Rest in Peace, PaPaw! I love you!


1 comment:

Heather said...

Time goes by so quickly! Thanks for sharing your sweet memories of your PaPaw.